What comes first - determining the budget, or the setting the date, finding a venue, etc,?
Wedding Attire 10%
Extras – at least 6%
But…..the 50% figure is based on having your reception catered. If you need to trim the budget the reception is a good place to start.
Date/Venue/Food/Time of DayChanges in any of these areas can make an impact on your budget.
Rental Halls, Reception Halls, Banquet Halls,Party Rooms, Party Halls, Cheap Rental Halls, Reception Sites
- Call all the local Fraternal Organizations: the Elks Club, Shrine Temple etc.
- Check with your City and/or Country Parks Department regarding facilities available for rent
- Also check with your local Recreation department.
- Check with alumni clubs.
- Botanical Gardens
- Art Galleries
- Historic Estates
- Vineyards and Wineries
- Bed and Breakfast Inns
- Ranches (Rustic weddings have been very popular the last several years)
- Penthouse suites in the larger cities
Or, consider having it at home if your guest list is not too extensive. I will be writing about setting up mini-buffets in confined spaces later...it is an ideal way to handle a large number of guests in a private home.
One Important Aspect of Renting Any Type of Location for a DIY Event is the Amount of Time Available For Your Function.
- Plan for at least 2 hours for the preparation and set-up of the bar and food for 100 guests. Either additional help, or time, will be needed for set-up and decoration of the room and guest tables.
- Allow for at least 1 hour for clean up at the conclusion of your event.
- To determine your time schedule begin at the end and move backwards through the various
- bouquet and garter toss and bridal couple leaving
- "first dances"
- cake cutting
- bride and groom arrival
- guests arrival
- room and food set-up
backdrop behind the cake for your pictures.
Here is a great tool from weddingwire which allows you to create a floor plan and seating charts.
This question involves many deciding factors – food preferences, time of day, resources and more. Due to the variety of factors an evaluation is included in the book that helps you define which option will work best for you. Two things to bear in mind is that appetizers are much more labor intensive, and due to the ingredients -usually cost more per person than a full meal offering multiple salad options, pasta or potatoes, 2 or more meat selections and rolls.
And because we are talking about a DIY reception a buffet is the most effective way to serve the food. However, if you decide to have your event catered this information could still be useful.
|Appetizer Buffet (photo by Istockphoto.com)|
How does the time of day and season affect the plans?
The season will affect several things.
A winter wedding provides an opportunity to serve seasonal favorites (hot chocolate with snapps - yum) and decorate with a holiday themes if desired.
It is very popular to plan weddings for long holiday week-ends providing more time for out-of-town guests to travel. If this is your plan book your venue A.S.A.P.!
Formality of the Reception
- If the ceremony and reception are not in close proximity of each other, you will need to consider the travel time for the guests to reach the reception venue after they leave the church.
- Consider the interval of time the guests will be at the reception while the bride, groom and family members are being photographed.
- Beverages should be available when the first guest walks through the door of the reception facility.
- It is a good idea to have simple snacks or appetizers available during this period of time if there is more than an hour delay before the bride and groom arrive.
The rental hall might look bleak when you go to see it. But, with all the DIY decorating ideas on Pinterest and the various wedding sites, the possibilities for transformation are endless.
How Far In Advance Should I Rent the Facility?
Seriously, finding an available facility for the day you want could be the biggest challenge you will face. So, this is your first priority. My clients actually stood in line on the day that reservations were opened for the new year to book their receptions for several of the city park facilities .
Win a free copy of Frugally Fabulous Wedding Receptions and a complimentary consulting package from Frugally Fabulous.. details will be published in the February 1st blog.